View previous topic :: View next topic  
anagrama
Guild Master

re: Holy Paladins

So I am not a master or anything but I have made some observations after 2 weeks of raiding and looking at high ranking paladins on WOL.

Im focusing on the boss Elegon now since I believe if you can handle that you are good for the whole first 10 man raid.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/illidan/Alagasta/advanced
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-031de74fzx6umjxo/details/0/?s=12864&e=13373

Stats
Spirit. You need this as much as you can get.
Intellect. You have enough of this with your gear and enchants to get through the first 10 man for sure
Mastery. Illuminated healing is usually at the top of your meter. It seems that Eternal Flame will possibly surpass it at higher levels. So after spirit, mastery is the only thing you have to get as much of as possible.
Haste and crit. Just live what you have.

Talents
In the first row I feel pursuit of justice is a wise pick because it just works and you don't have to click any buttons.

In the second row Fist of Justice is wise because nobody will say "repentance that target" and although right now I have it, Burden of Guilt is no good because you don't ever want to judge anything! You should take Judgement from your bar and replace it with Attack. Judgement costs mana and you are crazy if you think you will ever have any to spare. By using attack instead you will be ready at all times to smack something for 4% mana back with Seal of Insight.

For the third row I believe Eternal Flame is a must. It is always at the top on the meters. It is all about getting the most healing for mana or holy charges spent and this does a lot of healing and it works with our mastery. If I use a 3X charge Eternal Flame on you and the initial direct heal gets you above 80% I can move on to someone else knowing that you will get filled. Also if I have Eternal Flame going on 3 people my beaconed target is also getting a % of that healing. During the encounter I rarely direct heal my beaconed target because of this. It is a great heal.

In the 4th row even though I am not specced into it as of me writing this.
Clemency is the way to go. There is nothing that I know of right now in the raid that would require HAnd of Purity. Unbreakable Spirit seems nice in conjunction with the Divinty Glyph but I have yet to have my Lay on Hands CD be available 2 times in one fight. Nor have I needed to bubble early enough in a fight for that CD to come up again. Clemency can be used frequently in the raid for all 3 of the spells it works with so I have now got it in my mind that it is the talent most useful in the raid.

In the 5th row I am not entirely sure what is best I believe It is between Holy Avenger and Divine Purpose. I have little experience with Divine Purpose but it does look to me like it can be a great thing to have. I go with Holy Avenger right now because when used along with Eternal Flame and Avenging Wrath and Divine Favor I can give 5 people a huge heal and a hot for the price of 2 Divine Lights and 3 Holy Shocks. Also when extreme AOE healing is needed I can cast about 5 3X charged Light of Dawns using a mix of Holy Shocks, Holy Radiances, or Divine Lights inbetween them. I choose Holy Avenger because the 3 stacks are a sure thing when I want them not a random 25% chance. But again I have little experience with Divine Purpose.

In the 6th and final row. Lights Hammer is the way to go. I used both of the other choices while levelling up and in heroics. I found Holy Prism to be much more helpfull than Execution Sentence because it gave me a nice heal on people who actually needed the heals. But in the raid it has one huge drawback, IT COSTS MANA. If it didn't cost mana It may be the top choice because it has only a 20 sec cd but because of its mana cost Lights Hammer beats it. Also there are times when you really need that AOE heal, when you use it you gain just a bit of your sanity back for a few moments in an otherwise stressful situation.

Last edited by anagrama on 10/24/2012 3:35:01 am; edited 3 times in total

anagrama
Guild Master

Glyphs
Protector of the Innocent.
When you use word of glory on a target it heals you for 20% of the heal. While this does work with the direct heal from Eternal Flame, I don't believe you get healed 20% of the HOT.
With this glyph I believe I rarely heal myself which is one less person to worry about.

Divinity, which gives you 30k mana when you use your Lay On Hands, I believe is a must until you are feeling good about your mana regen. You will not feel good about your mana regen until you really know what you are doing. You may know what you are doing after 50 wipes on Elegon but until then you better get anything that will give you mana.

As a third glyph there are a few to choose from.

Beacon of Light I feel is a super secret awesome glyph that I have yet to use. If what I think it does is correct, it allows you to switch your beacon while you are casting. I have been meaning to check to see if that is correct but haven't got around to it yet. If that is correct using that to its full potential could really give you an edge.

I am using Glyph of Illumination right now instead of Beacon. I really have to do some math to figure out what I am getting back from this glyph and I have yet to do the math. So I cannot say for sure if it is good or not but it sounds good to the ignorant person.

Glyph of Divine Plea. To me it seems like a nice thing to have but I can usually find 9 seconds at some point that I don't need to heal. I don't like being stuck in one place for 5 seconds and that is why I don't use it.

I just feel the beacon glyph calling out to me "USE ME" for my third glyph. So I will probably switch to that in the next few days after doing the math for Illumination.

anagrama
Guild Master

As a healer in a raid you will probably find it most usefull to have a dps spec.
Most fights will be 2 healed and unless you have a tank that is always not showing up, having the dps dpec will be more useful unless you and the raid are most comfortable with you always healing.

General tips I have are these...
Don't heal like you did in Cata. Use Holy Light instead of Divine Light unless you are fighting the 4th? boss when you get huge mana regen from going inside the totem. You can and probably will use it a lot in that fight.
Don't use Holy Radiance unless you really need to and people are stacked really tight.
Always use a Holy Shock after Holy Radiance if you do use HR so that you get the extra healing from Daybreak.
If you are planning on using Holy Radiance in a heavy damage part of a fight. Use your guardian and use the fast cast time your guardian will give you for your Holy Radiances. For example cast a couple direct heals then holy radiance, Holy shock, Holy radiance, Holy shock, Holy radiance. Your cast time will be faster and faster after each direct heal.

Try to make every heal you cast COUNT

Popej
Areeba
Legacy

Good Stuff.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Red One Forum Index -> Class Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: